Ed Turlington advises businesses and individuals on corporate and legal issues and represents clients before government agencies at the federal, state and local level.
Ed has a distinguished record of public service. He has served as Chief of Staff to both the Governor and Lt. Governor of North Carolina, as Special Assistant/Counsel to a United States Senator and as a national advisor to three presidential candidates.
Ed represents businesses in the fields of media, telecommunications, health care, transportation, finance and education. He advises technology companies on legal matters, including contracts, procurement and taxation.
Given his government experience, Ed represents clients before executive branch, legislative branch and administrative agencies on a variety of matters. A significant part of his practice includes drafting legislation and building support for its enactment. He has been ranked by the North Carolina Center for Public Policy Research in the top 3% of all registered lobbyists in the state.
In his roles as an attorney and public policy leader, Ed has appeared on CNN, MSNBC, Fox, CSPAN, NPR and the BBC. He has also been quoted in the New York Times, the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal.
- Successfully represented two clients on retaining their contracts at state agencies despite competition and protests from other vendors and successfully represented two information technology companies on winning contracts at state agencies
- Successfully represented a statewide trade association at the General Assembly in retaining state tax code provisions important to its industry and an industry group in retaining state appropriations that are important to its service to relevant businesses
- Successfully represented an electric car manufacturer at the General Assembly in retaining its ability to sell cars in North Carolina
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White) in Government Relations Practice and Corporate Law
- Peer Review Rated "AV Preeminent" by Martindale-Hubbell
- Winner of the IT Support Services Award from the North Carolina Technology Association
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- President, Duke University Class of 1979, 1989-1994
- UNC-Chapel Hill School of Law Alumni Board of Directors, 2012--
- Board of Trustees of the Kenan Institute for Engineering, Science and Technology at NC State University, 2000--
- Board of Directors of the Wake Technical Community College Foundation, 2006-- (Current Chair)
- Board of Directors of the NC Methodist Home for Children, 2005--2013
- Member, Edenton Street United Methodist Church, Raleigh, NC (Administrative Board Chair 2011)
- Member, Democratic National Committee, 2009-2013
- Former Member, NC Rural Internet Access Authority, 2000-03
- National advisor to three Presidential candidates - John Edwards (2004), Bill Bradley (2000), and Joe Biden (1988)
- Executive Assistant (Chief of Staff) and Campaign Manager for NC Governor Jim Hunt, 1993-96
- Attorney, Tharrington, Smith & Hargrove, Raleigh, NC, 1989-1993
- Chief of Staff for NC Lt. Governor Bob Jordan, 1987-89
- Special Assistant/Counsel for US Senator Terry Sanford, 1986-87
- Executive Director, NC Democratic Party, 1985-86
- Deputy Commissioner, NC Industrial Commission, 1983-84
Seminars & Speaking Engagements