North Carolina Legislators made their way back to Raleigh for the beginning of the 2017 long session on January 25th. With returning members settling into their new offices and new members getting acclimated to Raleigh, no votes were held this week. Things were busy on Jones Street, however, with assignment of committees and filing of bills.
The leadership of the General Assembly is similar to last year with Representative Tim Moore remaining the Speaker of the House and Senator Phil Berger leading the Senate as President Pro Tempore. The change in Governor's office is bringing a number of changes to executive branch leadership. Click here to view complete list of state leadership changes.
Click here to view a complete list of committee assignments. Committees are expected to start meeting during the week of February 6th.
House Bills Filed:
- H2 Provide Certain Property Tax Relief.
- H3 Eminent Domain Const. Amendment.
- H4 Fairmont/Voluntary Annexation.
- H5 Unemployment Insurance Technical Changes.
- H6 Ed. Finance Reform Task Force/PED Report.
- H7 LRC/Strengthen Savings Reserve.
- H8 Even Yr Municipal Election/Towns of Troy/Star.
- H9 Allow Election Day Service - Retired LEOs.
- H10 Eminent Domain Statutory Revisions.
- H11 Handicap Parking Privilege Certification.
- H12 Stanly CC/Bd. of Trustees.
- H13 Class Size Requirement Changes.
- H14 Montgomery CC/Bd. of Trustees.
- H15 Public Authority/Permanent Plates.
- H16 Enhance Oversight of Service Contracts/PED.
- H17 Office of State Auditor/Corrective Action/PED.
- H18 State Agencies Must Use eProcurement/PED.
- H19 Selection of Chair & Vice-Chair/County BOCs.
- H20 School Calendar Flexibility/Alamance County.
- H21 Driver Instruction/Law Enforcement Stops.
- H22 BOR/Independent Staff/Data Tracking.
- H23 Teachers/Isolated K-12 Schools.
- H24 Study Unfunded Liability/Retiree Health Fund.
- H25 Randolph County Zoning Procedure Changes.
- H26 Workers' Comp/Approval of Disputed Legal Fees.
- H27 Clarify Expiration of Vehicle Registration.
- H28 DOT/Access of Motorcyclists.
- H29 Record of Excusals From Jury Duty.
- H30 Colorectal Cancer Awareness License Plate.
- H31 Material Fact Disclosure Clarifications.
- H32 Limited Civil Immunity/Ski Patrol Volunteers.
- H33 Amend Firearm Restoration Law.
- H34 Acquire Two Rescue Helicopters/Funds.
- H35 Protect North Carolina Workers Act.
- H36 Enact Enhanced Access to Eye Care Act.
- H37 Protect Law Enforcement Officers.
- H38 Funding for Scotland County Farmers Market.
- H39 Amend Appointments/UNC Bd of Governors.
Senate Bills Filed:
- S3 DOT/DMV Changes.
- S4 42nd Senatorial District Local Act-1.
- S5 Mecklenburg/Police Countywide Jurisdiction.
- S6 Cornelius Annexation.
- S7 Unemployment Insurance Technical Changes.
- S8 Ease Occ. Lic. Burdens on Military Families.
- S9 Ed. Finance Reform Task Force/PED Report.
- S10 18th Senatorial District Local Act-1.
- S11 Regulate Pesticide Application in Restaurants.
- S12 Veterans Memorial/Funds.
- S13 Sanford Occupancy Tax.
- S14 LRC/Strengthen Savings Reserve.
- S15 Teachers/Isolated K-12 Schools.
- S16 Amend Administrative Procedure Laws.
- S17 41st Senatorial District Local Act-1.
- S18 10th Senatorial District Local Act.
- S19 Even Yr Municipal Election/Towns of Troy/Star.
- S20 36th Senatorial District Local Act.
- S21 DL Restoration/DWI Treatment Court.
- S22 Study Unfunded Liability/Retiree Health Fund.
- S23 25th Senatorial District Local Act-1.
- S24 Allow Restaurants to Use Outdoor Grills.
- S25 Repeal HB2.
- S26 Local/Pitt, Greene, Wayne, & Lenoir Counties.
- S27 $5 Vehicle Tax for Greene Co. Economic Dev.
- S28 Electronic Pawn & Metals Database.
- S29 ALJ Review of DPS Civil Penalties.
- S30 11th Senatorial District Local Act-1.
- S31 33rd Senatorial District Local Act-1.
For more information, please contact the Brooks Pierce Government Affairs Team, linked below.