The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has posted guidance for employers regarding medical examinations and inquiries during the COVID-19 pandemic, linked here.
The EEOC’s original guidance focused on current employees. It now clarifies that, under the current circumstances, employers who are hiring can do the following and reminds them of important considerations if they choose to take any of these actions:
- Screen applicants for symptoms of COVID-19 (as long as done consistently)
- Take an applicant’s temperature as part of a post-offer, pre-employment medical exam
- Delay the start date of an applicant with COVID-19 or symptoms of COVID-19
- Withdraw a job offer to a person with COVID-19 or symptoms of COVID-19 if the applicant is needed to start immediately
Brooks Pierce is dedicated to keeping our clients fully informed during the COVID-19 crisis. For more information, please visit our COVID-19 Response Resources page.
Previously published articles regarding COVID-19:
- "Employer Tax Relief Under COVID-19 Legislation"
- "New Law Requires Many Employers to Provide Job-Protected Leave and Paid Benefits for Absences Related to COVID-19"
- "NC Governor Cooper Expands Unemployment Benefits to Workers Affected by COVID-19"
- "Brooks Pierce's Response to COVID-19"
- "Important Coronavirus Guidance from EEOC"
- "Schools Are Closed. Now What? Guidance for North Carolina Public School Districts"
- "Judicial Updates on COVID-19"
- "Pending Legislation Would Require Job-Protected Leave and Paid Benefits Related to COVID-19"
- "Workplace Coronavirus Response Plans Must Comply with Applicable Employment Laws"
Add a comment
- North Carolina Governor Extends Certain COVID-19 Measures
- New from OSHA on COVID-19: A COVID-19 Emergency Temporary Standard for Healthcare and Revised Guidance for All Other Employers
- Employer-Provided Incentives for Vaccinations—Finally Some Guidance
- Employers Considering Differential Treatment Based on Vaccination Status
- North Carolina Governor Lifts Mass Gathering and Social Distancing Limits and Most Mask Mandates
- North Carolina Governor Relaxes Outdoor Mask Mandate and Eases Mass Gathering Limit
- Availability of Health Insurance Subsidy Requires Employers to Act
- North Carolina Governor Further Eases COVID Restrictions on Businesses and Gatherings
- American Rescue Plan Includes Changes to COVID-Related Employee Leave
- CDC Issues New Guidance for Vaccinated Individuals