David represents clients in all aspects of commercial real estate transactions, including sale, purchase, lease, and financing. He provides counsel on development, expansion, and all requisite agreements. He regularly represents commercial lenders in structuring, documenting, and reviewing various credit facilities. He also represents real estate lenders in foreclosure and workout proceedings.
Over the course of his practice, David has:
- Represented skilled nursing facility owner/operator in all facets of the following transactions:
- Site acquisition and $15.3 million construction financing for skilled nursing facility.
- Ground lease and related $10.4 million construction financing for skilled nursing
- $11.9 million loan for the refinance of debt and up-fitting of existing facility.
- Represented seller in the negotiation, structure and documentation of $36.8 million sale of four (4) hotels.
- Represented county and worked with bond counsel in connection with $28.5 million financing for the construction of a new high school.
- Represented county and worked with bond counsel in connection with $14 million financing for the construction of additions to courthouse and detention center.
- Represented client in the negotiation, structure and documentation of a 1031 Exchange involving (i) a deed-in-lieu of foreclosure transaction as the relinquished property, and (ii) $8.5 million financing for the purchase of (2) replacement property sites and one (1) incidental site for the construction of barbecue franchise restaurants.
- Represented private college in connection with $10 million construction financing for new dormitories.
- Represented an agribusiness company in multimillion dollar farm acquisitions and dispositions throughout the country.
Member, Bank Counsel Committee, North Carolina Bankers Association
Member, Real Property Section Council, North Carolina Bar Association
Past Member, Nash County Planning Board
Presenter, Business North Carolina Cybersecurity Roundtable, Raleigh, NC, November 2018.
Presenter, "A Wrench in the Gears: How to Prevent a Data Breach from Disrupting Your Operations & Customer Relationships," mfgCON 2018, Durham, NC, November 14, 2018.
Presenter, "Data Breaches & Cybersecurity," 2018 CFO/CPA Risk Management Conference, Greensboro, NC, October 16, 2018
Presenter, "Data Privacy - A Legal Assessment," CFO Roundtable event, High Point, NC, August 16, 2018
Co-presenter, "You've Been Breached: What Next?," Business North Carolina CEO Summit, Pinehurst, NC, March 27, 2018
Panelist on cybersecurity concerns for entrepreneurs, Greater Women's Business Council's POP Too! Conference, Raleigh, NC, March 9, 2017
Co-presenter (with Thomas Varnum), "Digital Marketing Blues," Raleigh Social Media Marketing Meetup, Raleigh, NC, January 18, 2017
Co-presenter (with Thomas Varnum), "Digital Marketing Blues," Internet Summit, Raleigh, NC, November 16, 2016
Presenter, “Digital Media and Marketing,” UNC Festival of Legal Learning, February 14, 2015
Presenter, “Responding to a Data Breach,” Banking Security Summit, North Carolina Bankers Association, October 16, 2014
Presenter, Digital Legal & Compliance 101 Panel Discussion, North Carolina Association of Broadcasters, June 24, 2014
Presenter, “Tax Consequences of Lobbying and Political Advocacy,” North Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants, May 2014
Panelist, Representing Your Local Broadcaster, ABA Forum on Communications Law, April 2014
Co-author, “Commercial Free TV and Aereo: What Lies Ahead for Content Owners in the Wake of the Ninth Circuit’s AutoHop Decision,” Communications Lawyer, November 2013
Co-author, “Prior Restraint 2.0: A Framework for Applying Section 230 to Online Journalism,” 1 Wake Forest J.L.& Pol'y 75, May 2011
Co-author, “Supreme Court Rocks Campaign Finance Boat,” Triad Business Journal, 2010
Moderator, “Recent Developments in Election Law,” North Carolina Professional Lobbyists Association, October 2013
Panelist, “Copyright and the Internet: Giving Broadcasters the Cold Shoulder?” American Bar Association, Representing Your Local Broadcaster, April 2013
Presenter, “Citizens United and Corporate Political Speech: New Opportunities and Obstacles,” North Carolina Professional Lobbyists Association, October 2010
Presenter, “Indemnification, Attorneys’ Fees and Arbitration Provisions in Contracts,” North Carolina Bar Association, Business Law Section Annual Meeting, February 2010
I come from a farming family in rural Eastern North Carolina. My family instilled in me the values that I use every day in the practice of law: treat people with respect, be honest and do the absolute best you can at whatever you do. I take a genuine interest in my clients. I am a firm believer that you must have a keen understanding of the client’s business, goals and objectives in order to provide effective counsel.
If I am not working, you will most likely find me spending time with my wife and two children, feebly attempting to play golf or cheering on the Wolfpack.