Ryan's diverse practice includes particular emphasis on esports. He represents players, influencers and content creators, and other stakeholders in contracts, licensing, intellectual property, corporate matters, and more. Ryan also represents domestic and international clients in contracting, intellectual property, and corporate matters, as well as in state and federal litigation. Ryan focuses on providing efficient results and excellent service.
Ryan represents esports players, influencers, content creators, and other stakeholders in negotiating and drafting contracts, structuring licensing deals, developing brand protection strategies, addressing corporate matters, and more. Ryan is an industry leader in representing top Twitch streamers as well as competitive players across Valorant, CS:GO, League of Legends, Dota 2, Fortnite, the fighting game community, and others. His passion for esports derives from being a lifelong gamer who plays many of the games at the forefront of esports. Ryan understands the esports and video game influencer ecospheres and their dynamics, and he leverages this understanding and his legal expertise to help his clients address any challenge they might face.
Ryan counsels clients on a variety of intellectual property matters, including copyrights, trademarks, and trade secrets. He works with companies and individuals to properly identify and protect their intellectual property rights. Ryan also litigates intellectual property infringement and trade secrets misappropriation lawsuits in state and federal courts when necessary.
Ryan represents businesses of all sizes in a wide range of corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, financing transactions, and lending transactions. He drafts and negotiates relevant contracts and organizational documents. He also works with start-up companies on entity formation and venture capital financing.
Ryan also represents domestic and international companies on cross-border transactional issues, such as regulatory compliance, intellectual property matters, and tax liability. He is an avid traveler and has a deep appreciation for international cultures and commerce.
A former district court law clerk, Ryan knows the federal court system inside and out. He represents clients in a wide range of complex business, intellectual property, white-collar criminal, and constitutional matters.
Law Clerk to the Honorable James C. Fox, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina, 2014-2016
University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., 2014, with honors; Staff member, North Carolina Law Review; Article and Note Editor, First Amendment Law Review
Brigham Young University, B.A., 2010; Writer, The BYU Political Review
U.S. District Court for the Western, Middle, and Eastern Districts of North Carolina
- Press Release05.27.2021
- Media MentionEsports Insider, 01.22.2021
- Media Mention01.14.2021
- Press Release11.12.2020
- Media MentionBIG Esports Podcast, 03.09.2020
- Speaking Engagements02.04.2020
- Media MentionLegaltech News, 12.03.2019
- Press Release10.22.2019
- Media MentionBusiness North Carolina, 10.18.2019
- Press Release10.03.2019
- Media Mention09.18.2019
- Media MentionUpcomer.com, 08.23.2019
- Media Mention06.11.2019
- Media MentionESPN, 05.28.2019
- Press Release01.29.2019
- Press ReleaseTwo Brooks Pierce Attorneys Appointed to Inaugural North Carolina Pro Bono Resource Center Advisory Board08.16.2018
- Media MentionESPN, 06.12.2018
- Media Mention05.24.2018
- Media Mention04.02.2018
- Media Mention03.26.2018
- Media MentionNorth Carolina Lawyers Weekly, 03.15.2018
- Media Mention03.13.2018
- Media MentionEsports Observer, 03.08.2018
- Media MentionGGI Insider, 12.18.2017
- Press Release12.07.2017
- Press Release11.30.2017
- Press Release04.26.2017
- Media MentionWestlaw Journals, 03.15.2017
- Media MentionBaldwin and Fairchild Quoted in Greater Wilmington Business Journal Article on the Future of International TradeGreater Wilmington Business Journal, 01.17.2017
- Media MentionGlobal Trade, 12.08.2016
- Press Release11.08.2016
- Speaking Engagements05.25.2021
- Speaking Engagements11.18.2020
- Speaking Engagements10.07.2020
- Speaking Engagements06.04.2020
- Speaking Engagements10.29.2019
- Speaking EngagementsBrooks Pierce Attorney Ryan Fairchild to Speak at Community Effort Orlando 2019 Fight Game Tournament06.27.2019
- Speaking Engagements06.20.2019
- Speaking Engagements12.19.2018
- Speaking Engagements10.29.2018
- Speaking Engagements06.28.2018
- Speaking Engagements05.21.2018
- Client Alert03.08.2018
- Client AlertWestlaw Journal03.16.2017
Professional & Civic
Professional & Civic Activities
Member, Board of Directors, North American League of Legends Championship Series Players Association (2021-present)
Attorney Editor-in-Chief, Esports Bar Association's Publications (2019-present)
Co-Chair, North Carolina Bar Association Sports & Entertainment Law Section Ethics Committee (2019-present)
Member, North Carolina Pro Bono Resource Center Advisory Board (2018-present)
Member, Board of Directors, Children's Museum of Wilmington (2017-2019)
Member, WHQR Community Advisory Board (2017-2019)
Member, Board of Directors, Young Professionals Committee, A Safe Place (2017-2018)
The first item Ryan ever saved his allowance for was a Sega Genesis. His first job was at Sunnyvale Golfland, a mini-golf and arcade where he played fighting games against some of the top players in the world. He has built gaming PCs and continues to pursue his love of gaming as part of his practice of law as he works with esports players, influencers, agencies, and others.
Ryan’s varied interests in the law derive from his varied interests outside of it. A double major in Economics and Spanish Translation with a deep interest in history, theology, myriad entertainment media, cooking, and more, Ryan has found that diverse inputs and an open mind lead to cross-discipline connections and creative solutions to complex problems. In doing so, he takes a holistic approach to his clients’ needs and goals.
Ryan and his wife, Angie, are experienced and seasoned travelers. They have lived on four continents, working in different industries on each one, and traveled a fifth. Their most recent international trip, a tour of Mexico, Peru, and the Galapagos Islands, was a chance to get their sons hooked on the travel bug. They have since been joined by a daughter and regularly camp and travel the United States.
When at home, Ryan can often be found spending time outside with his family, reading a book, or watching or playing video games.