Utilities & Telecom
Information and Innovation
Our attorneys represent clients before the North Carolina Utilities Commission on the application of the state’s utilities laws and regulations to their businesses. We regularly advise clients on matters such as:
- Rate and certification proceedings
- Solar and renewable energy registration and interconnection, Renewable Energy Certificate (REC) Agreements and solar procurement programs
- Utility acquisitions and transfer of certificates
- Biogas regulation and participation in REPS programs
- Telecommunications and Voice-over-Internet-Protocol regulation, Eligible Telecommunications Carrier (ETC) designation and interconnection with incumbent local exchange companies
- Access to utility infrastructure by broadband providers
We represent clients such as utility customer trade associations, solar developers, data centers, hydroelectric generation facility operators, competitive providers of telecommunications services, water/sewer utilities and gas utilities.
We understand that entities in the public utility space face a variety of intersecting legal, regulatory, public policy, environmental and business issues. Our practice leverages many of the firm’s other strengths, including our government affairs, environmental, tax, corporate and litigation practices, to provide creative advocacy and solutions to the multi-faceted issues that arise in a practice area where the technology and regulatory requirements are rapidly changing.
Our attorneys also have deep experience in helping clients navigate local, state and federal regulations involving environmental, zoning, development regulations and permitting. In addition, our government-affairs professionals assist in crafting and achieving public policy solutions at the North Carolina General Assembly and with state and federal government agencies.
- Media MentionCommunications Daily, 03.10.2021>