Katie Wong focuses her practice on commercial and intellectual property litigation, representing clients in all state and federal courts. She works with individuals and companies facing white-collar criminal charges and government investigations. She also counsels media and broadcasting companies on regulatory, corporate, and IP issues.
Katie represents businesses of all sizes, as well as individuals, in litigation in state and federal court. She counsels clients through a wide variety of complex commercial matters, and has experience with both civil and criminal procedure.
"Every interaction with our clients creates an opportunity to teach, collaborate, and ultimately create a more accessible legal system for everyone."
Katie helps clients protect their intellectual property through copyrights, trademarks, and patents. She also represents clients in litigation over intellectual property infringement claims.
Katie works with individuals and businesses who are facing white-collar criminal charges and/or investigations by governmental agencies for a variety of issues, including mail and wire fraud, accounting fraud, computer crimes, and tax controversy, among other matters.
- Obtaining trial court dismissals of breach of contract, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and Chapter 75 claims in various disputes amongst businesses or shareholders.
- Applying for trademark registrations and helping clients prepare responses to USPTO office actions.
- Investigating statutory and administrative violations in school districts and preparing findings.
- Obtaining a trial court judgment reversing a finding of patient abuse after a proceeding before the Office of Administrative Hearings.
- Obtaining magistrate court judgments denying summary ejectment.
Honors & Recognitions
Selected by her peers for inclusion in Business North Carolina's "Legal Elite" in the Young Guns category (2022)
Member, North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society (2020-2021)
Duke University School of Law, J.D., 2019, magna cum laude; Notes Editor, Duke Journal of Constitutional Law and Public Policy
Columbia Teachers College, M.A., 2013
Duke University, B.A., 2012, cum laude
U.S. District Court for the Western, Middle, and Eastern Districts
- Press Release06.20.2022
- RecognitionBrooks Pierce Attorneys Give Back: Ten Recognized by the North Carolina Supreme Court for Pro Bono Work06.20.2022
- RecognitionThirty Brooks Pierce Attorneys Recognized in Business North Carolina’s 2022 “Legal Elite” and “Hall of Fame”Business North Carolina, 01.03.2022
- Media MentionDuke Law Magazine, 08.19.2020
- Media MentionNorth Carolina Bar Association Blog, 05.12.2020
- Press Release10.23.2019
- Speaking Engagements01.28.2022
- Speaking Engagements02.24.2020
I am a litigator who enjoys the challenge of learning how things work in every subject matter or practice area.
As a former high school teacher who worked in diverse cities and schools, I seek to be the kind of attorney who listens to other perspectives with receptivity and works collaboratively with my clients and my colleagues. In my practice, I strive to elevate diverse voices and learn from others’ stories so that I can become a more compassionate advocate.
Apart from my valuable experiences working with Brooks Pierce, my time working as a legal extern with the Duke Civil Justice Clinic and my incredible professors was instrumental in developing my skills and philosophy. Working with clients and colleagues at the clinic taught me that it’s important to be the kind of lawyer who can empower clients to make informed decisions, develop their own advocacy skills, and navigate the legal system. Every interaction with our clients creates an opportunity to teach, collaborate, and ultimately create a more accessible legal system for everyone. I have also learned that creating a more accessible and fair legal system requires a commitment to pro bono service and this is a responsibility I take very seriously.
When I’m not practicing law, I enjoy running, cycling down long country roads, hiking mountain trails, reading, writing creatively, watching Duke basketball, and binge watching my favorite shows.