Ben Norman is a litigator who represents clients in state and federal trial and appellate courts, including the North Carolina Business Court. While the parties and industries have varied over the last fifteen years, nearly all of his cases involve working to find the best resolution for the client when faced with a failed business relationship.
Ben has significant experience handling disputes involving complex legal and procedural issues, high stakes, high volumes of documents, case management issues, and often multiple venues. For example, Ben was involved in litigation related to a commercial development and interest rate swaps in Virginia that spawned lawsuits in federal courts in Virginia, Texas and New York.
As a former law clerk in the North Carolina Business Court, Ben has represented clients in dozens of matters in the Business Court and been involved in numerous other matters for clients of the firm. Ben avidly follows the opinions of the Court and regularly appears in its courtrooms. He uses this experience in presentations and written publications, including as a contributing author and co-editor of the Business Courts chapter of an annual recent developments publication of the American Bar Association’s Business and Corporate Litigation Committee of the Business Section.
Ben has an active practice in the federal courts of North Carolina and has been involved in cases in federal courts throughout the east, southeast, south and midwest. He also provides representation of individuals and entities in tax controversies against federal tax authorities.
Ben is experienced in coordinating appeals from inception to completion in state and federal courts.
Representative matters include:
- Represented software developer against former employee involving claims for breach of contract, misappropriation of trade secrets, fraud, negligent misrepresentation, and other claims.
- Represented regional bank against claim for inspection of corporate records.
- Represented small business owner against large technology company in contract dispute.
- Represented individuals, businesses and other entities located across the United States in disputes related to interest rate swaps and other similar derivatives.
- Represented regional bank against claims for fraud, unfair or deceptive trade practices and rescission.
- Represented individuals in tax controversies against both federal and state tax authorities.
- Represented members of limited partnership in claims for dissolution, fraud, unfair or deceptive trade practices, and piercing the corporate veil.
- Represented textile company and officers against claims including fraudulent transfer, unfair or deceptive trade practices, and piercing the corporate veil.
- Represented educational testing company against claims of discrimination in public accommodation.
- Represented long-term care company against claims for breach of contract, unfair or deceptive trade practices, fraud and constructive fraud.
- Represented aviation company in claims for breach of contract.
- Represented telecommunications company against claims for breach of contract, unjust enrichment, negligent misrepresentation and unfair or deceptive trade practices by contractor.
- Represented real estate developer against claims for breach of contract and unjust enrichment.
- Represented former employee in claims for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty and against claims for misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of fiduciary duty, unfair or deceptive trade practices and conversion.
- Represented alleged member of joint venture against claims for breach of contract.
- Represented automotive parts manufacturer against claims for negligence and breach of warranty.
- Represented apartment complex owner in claims against property insurance company for breach of contract and unfair settlement practices.
Law Clerk to the Honorable Ben F. Tennille, Chief Special Superior Court Judge for Complex Business Cases, North Carolina Business Court, 2004-05
Honors & Recognitions
Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in Commercial Litigation (2021-2023)
Recognized by his peers for inclusion in Business North Carolina's "Legal Elite" in Litigation (2019)
Selected for Benchmark Litigation's "Under 40 Hot List" (2017, 2018)
Recognized in North Carolina Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) as a “Rising Star” in Business Litigation (2013-2018)
Recognized by BTI Consulting for exceptional client service as one of 354 Client Service All-Stars nationwide (2015)
Wake Forest University School of Law, J.D., 2004; Managing Editor, Wake Forest Law Review, 2003-04; James and Marie Mason Scholarship
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A., 2000
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Tax Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Western, Middle, and Eastern Districts of North Carolina
- Press ReleaseBen Norman and Dan Colston Again Involved with Business Courts Chapter in American Bar Association’s Annual Review of Developments in Business and Corporate Litigation08.04.2022
- Press ReleaseBen Norman and Dan Colston Involved with Business Courts Chapter in American Bar Association’s Annual Review of Developments in Business and Corporate Litigation09.30.2021
- RecognitionThe Best Lawyers in America®, 08.19.2021
- RecognitionThe Best Lawyers in America®, 08.20.2020
- RecognitionTwenty-Five Brooks Pierce Attorneys Recognized in Business North Carolina’s 2019 “Legal Elite” and “Hall of Fame”Business North Carolina, 01.02.2019
- RecognitionBenchmark Litigation, 07.18.2018
- RecognitionBenchmark Litigation, 08.01.2017
- RecognitionNorth Carolina Super Lawyers, 01.20.2017
- Press Release01.12.2017
- Press Release02.02.2016
- Press Release02.23.2015
- RecognitionNorth Carolina Super Lawyers, 01.20.2015
- Press Release03.21.2013
- Press Release04.03.2008
- Speaking Engagements05.06.2017
- Speaking Engagements05.13.2016
Professional & Civic
Professional & Civic Activities
Member, Litigation, Antitrust and Complex Business Dispute Sections, North Carolina Bar Association
Member, Business Section, American Bar Association
Member, Greensboro Bar Association
Member, Mentoring Committee, Greensboro Bar Association (2011-2012)
Member, Nominating Committee, Greensboro Bar Association (2011-2012)
President, Young Lawyers Section, Greensboro Bar Association (2011-2012)
Board Member, Young Lawyers Section, Greensboro Bar Association (2006-2013)
Graduate, Leadership Greensboro (2014)
Co-chair, Brooks Pierce United Way Campaign (2010)
Firm chair, Legal Aid of NC Triad Associates’ Drive (2010-2012)
Board of Directors, GirlCHARGE, Inc. (2008-2011)
My days playing team sports have ended because while my heart says “yes” my knees say “no”. I enjoy litigation as it allows me to fuel my competitive nature while working with clients, i.e. teammates, for the victory. Unlike a game, the matters that I am involved in are of such significance to my clients that their businesses may succeed or fail based on the outcome. It’s important to them and it’s important to me. I am driven to honor the trust and faith of our clients to secure their present and future.