Claire O'Brien advises companies and individuals in the health care, medical device and pharmaceutical industries on a myriad of regulatory compliance issues.
Claire counsels clients on a variety of health care issues, including compliance with federal and state regulations and day-to-day operations of health care facilities. She has significant experience advising on regulatory compliance across a broad range of industries, including counseling companies and individuals on interactions with HHS, FDA, USDA, FTC, and the National Advertising Division (NAD).
Claire’s work includes conducting and advising on internal investigations, counseling on employment issues, and completing due diligence related to corporate transactions involving health care, medical device, and pharmaceutical entities.
Having formerly practiced with a large international firm in Washington, D.C., Claire has experience representing clients in preparing public comments and petitions related to regulatory agency rulemakings and guidance documents. She also publishes and speaks on matters related to the health care industry, including a presentation entitled, "Introduction to HIPAA: Considerations for Non-Health Care Attorneys" (June 8, 2021).
Law Clerk to the Honorable Liam O'Grady, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, 2017-18
Honors & Recognitions
Recognized by the North Carolina Bar Association Young Lawyers Division as the Young Lawyer of the Quarter (October - December 2020)
University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., 2016, high honors; Order of the Coif; Gressman-Pollitt Award for Outstanding Oral Advocacy; Comments Editor, North Carolina Law Review
Wake Forest University, B.A., 2011, magna cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
District of Columbia
- Press ReleaseClaire O’Brien Named Co-Chair of Communications Committee for North Carolina Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Division12.04.2020
- Press Release08.18.2020
- Speaking Engagements03.29.2022
- Speaking Engagements01.20.2022
- Vaccine or Test For Large Employers on Hold Again, But Medicare and Medicaid Facilities Must Ensure Covered Staff Are VaccinatedCOVID-19 Response Resource Center: Timely Counsel for your Business, 01.13.2022
- COVID-19 Response Resource Center: Timely Counsel for your Business, 09.10.2021
- COVID-19 Response Resource Center: Timely Counsel for your Business, 06.14.2021
- COVID-19 Response Resource Center: Timely Counsel for your Business, 12.17.2020
- Client AlertOffice for Civil Rights Settles Five Investigations in HIPAA Right of Access Initiative: Don’t Give Your Patients Any Reason to Complain09.16.2020
Professional & Civic
Professional & Civic Activities
Member, American Health Law Association
Member, North Carolina Bar Association
Volunteer Attorney, Legal Aid of North Carolina Lawyer on the Line Program (2020-2021)
Co-chair, Communications Committee, Young Lawyers Division, North Carolina Bar Association (2020-present)