Edwin L. West III
- t: 919.573.6221
- t: 910.444.2021
- f: 910.444.2001
Ed West's practice areas include white-collar defense and investigations, professional licensing board defense and complex business litigation.
Ed has represented individuals, businesses, and organizations under investigation by a myriad of state and federal agencies including: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, N.C. Department of Health and Human Services, Securities & Exchange Commission, N.C. Secretary of State Securities Division, N.C. Banking Commission, Internal Revenue Service, N.C. Department of Revenue, U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division, U.S. Department of Labor, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, N.C Department of Treasurer Unclaimed Property Division, N.C. State Bureau of Investigations-NC Division of Environmental Crimes, U.S. Department of State-Directorate of Defense Trade Controls Compliance, U.S. Department of Commerce-Office of Export Enforcement, U.S. Department of Homeland Security-Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Federal Bureau of Investigation, U.S. Treasury, Department of Homeland Security-Secret Service, N.C. Department of Justice Consumer Protection Division, N.C. Department of Justice, U.S. Department of Justice-Tax Division, U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and the Federal Aviation Administration.
He has been recognized by his peers for inclusion in Business North Carolina's "Legal Elite" in the area of Criminal Law (2015-2022), North Carolina Super Lawyers for Criminal Defense (2018-2022), and The Best Lawyers in America© for Criminal Defense: White-Collar (2019-2022).
Ed has represented businesses and organizations both large and small, including publicly traded companies, health care providers, utilities, municipalities, school boards, closely-held and small businesses, as well as individuals in a wide variety of civil matters. These have included qui tam/whistleblower litigation, business disputes of all kinds, eminent domain takings, shareholder actions, defamation, legal malpractice defense, personal injury and a multitude of insurance matters.
He has been recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© for Commercial Litigation (2018-2022).
Ed routinely represents individuals and businesses with civil and criminal tax issues. He has represented businesses and individuals with inquiries, investigations, audits, liens, and collections issues by both the Internal Revenue Service and the North Carolina Department of Revenue. He has defended clients in criminal investigations involving tax evasion, failure to file, filing false returns, failure to collect, fraud and false statements, filing fraudulent returns, structuring, and embezzlement of entrusted funds.
Ed has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the area of Litigation and Controversy - Tax (2017-2022).
Ed advises lawyers regarding professional responsibility and ethics. He defends lawyers facing state bar grievances and routinely advises attorneys and law firms responding to subpoenas. He is panel defense counsel for Lawyers Mutual of North Carolina.
Ed represents professionals before licensing boards. He has advised and represented individuals with matters involving the North Carolina State Bar, North Carolina Medical Board, North Carolina Board of Certified Public Accountant Examiners, North Carolina Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors, North Carolina State Board of Examiners of Plumbing, Heating and Fire Sprinkler Contractors, North Carolina Real Estate Commission, North Carolina Irrigation Contractors Licensing Board, North Carolina Nursing Board, and North Carolina Social Work Licensing Board.
Honors & Recognitions
Recognized in North Carolina Lawyers Weekly's “Leaders in the Law” (2020)
Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Commercial Litigation (2018-2023), Tax Litigation and Controversy (2017-2023), and Criminal Defense: White-Collar (2019-2023)
Recognized by his peers for inclusion in Business North Carolina's "Legal Elite" in Criminal Defense (2015-2023)
Recognized by North Carolina Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) for Criminal Defense (2018-2023)
“AV” rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Wake Forest University School of Law, J.D., 1995; Chief Justice, Wake Forest Moot Court Board
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Tax Court
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
U.S. Court of Appeals for 4th Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Western, Middle, and Eastern Districts of North Carolina
- RecognitionThirty-Two Brooks Pierce Attorneys Recognized in Business North Carolina's 2023 "Legal Elite" and "Hall of Fame"01.03.2023
- Speaking Engagement12.14.2022
- Media MentionBusiness North Carolina Publishes Article on Brooks Pierce’s White Collar Defense and Investigations Practice09.07.2022
- RecognitionNorth Carolina Super Lawyers, 01.13.2022
- RecognitionThirty Brooks Pierce Attorneys Recognized in Business North Carolina’s 2022 “Legal Elite” and “Hall of Fame”Business North Carolina, 01.03.2022
- RecognitionThe Best Lawyers in America®, 08.19.2021
- RecognitionNorth Carolina Super Lawyers, 01.14.2021
- RecognitionTwenty-Six Brooks Pierce Attorneys Named to Business North Carolina’s 2021 “Legal Elite” and “Hall of Fame”Business North Carolina Legal Elite, 01.03.2021
- RecognitionThe Best Lawyers in America®, 08.20.2020
- Press Release07.29.2020
- Speaking Engagements02.04.2020
- RecognitionNorth Carolina Super Lawyers, 01.22.2020
- RecognitionTwenty-One Brooks Pierce Attorneys Named to Business North Carolina’s 2020 “Legal Elite” and “Hall of Fame”Business North Carolina Legal Elite, 01.02.2020
- RecognitionCommunity or Pro Bono Recognition, 12.16.2019
- RecognitionThe Best Lawyers in America®, 08.15.2019
- Press Release01.29.2019
- RecognitionTwenty-Five Brooks Pierce Attorneys Recognized in Business North Carolina’s 2019 “Legal Elite” and “Hall of Fame”Business North Carolina, 01.02.2019
- RecognitionThe Best Lawyers in America®, 08.15.2018
- Press Release05.25.2018
- Press Release01.03.2018
- RecognitionTwenty-five Brooks Pierce Attorneys Recognized in Business North Carolina’s 2018 “Legal Elite” and "Hall of Fame"Business North Carolina, 01.02.2018
- RecognitionThe Best Lawyers in America®, 08.15.2017
- Press Release01.12.2017
- RecognitionNineteen Brooks Pierce Attorneys Recognized in Business North Carolina’s “Legal Elite” and “Hall of Fame”Business North Carolina, 01.03.2017
- RecognitionThe Best Lawyers in America®, 08.15.2016
- RecognitionNineteen Brooks Pierce Attorneys Recognized in Business North Carolina’s 2016 “Legal Elite” and “Hall of Fame”01.07.2016
- Press Release10.16.2015
- RecognitionTwenty-one Brooks Pierce Attorneys Recognized in Business North Carolina's "Legal Elite" and "Hall of Fame"Business North Carolina, 01.04.2015
- Press Release09.30.2014
- Press Release04.29.2013
- Press Release12.31.2012
- Speaking Engagements05.06.2019
- Speaking Engagements05.04.2018
- Speaking EngagementsBrooks Pierce Partners Ed West and Julia Ambrose Present Ethics CLE for Association of Corporate Counsel01.30.2018
Professional & Civic
Professional & Civic Activities
Adjunct Professor, University of North Carolina School of Law, Spring 2020
Chair (2018-2020), Vice-Chair (2017-2018), Member (2015-2020), Board of Advisors, Wilson Center for Leadership in the Public Interest, Hampden-Sydney College
Member, Southeastern Economic Development Commission (2013-2017)
Chair (2016-2017); Member (2013-2017), Board of Directors, The Arts Council of Wilmington and New Hanover County
Chairman, Board of Directors, New Horizons Elementary School (2013-2015)
Member, White Collar Crime Committee, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (2011-present)
Past Chair and Council Member, Criminal Justice Section, North Carolina Bar Association (2006-2007)
Past Member, National Association of Corporate Directors (2009-2010)
Past Council Member, Corporate Counsel Section, North Carolina Bar Association (2009-2010)
Past Member, New Hanover County Schools Advisory Council on Education of Children with Special Needs (2008-2010)