Not-for-Profits and Charitable Organizations
Not-for-profits and charitable organizations face an array of complicated and unique legal issues. For both public and private organizations, Brooks Pierce attorneys have extensive experience counseling non-profits, charities, private foundations and other organizations on formation, ongoing operations, business transactions and tax law.
Our services include:
- Forming, dissolving, merging and reorganizing: When it comes to the business operations of your not-for-profit, our attorneys can provide guidance every step of the way. From determining the best organizational structure to advising on governance issues to helping with mergers and dissolutions, our attorneys are well-versed in the legal requirements facing not-for-profits.
- Financing: Our attorneys are here to assist in a multitude of financing responsibilities, including advising on charitable contribution solicitation, obtaining tax-exempt financing and advising on revenue financing for municipalities.
- Audits and tax exemption: Brooks Pierce attorneys provides counsel and audits to tax-exempt organizations on the federal, state and local level. This includes a variety of services including reviewing tax-exempt status, structuring organizations to minimize tax liability and representation before the IRS and state tax authorities.
- Asset transfers: Not-for-profits often face regulatory scrutiny when transferring or selling assets or seeking release from donor restrictions on endowed funds. We provide counsel to not-for-profits helping them successfully navigate this process.
The clients we serve include:
- Nonprofit charitable organizations: Our clients include religious organizations, educational institutions, hospitals, scientific research organizations, economic development corporations, supporting organizations, continuing care retirement communities and a variety of public charities. We also work with a number of organizations focused on impact investing and have experience with advising social enterprises, especially as for-profit subsidiaries of nonprofit organizations. We represent both company and family private foundations.
- Other nonprofit organizations: Our clients include social welfare groups, political action committees, trade associations, chambers of commerce, social clubs and fraternities and sororities.
- Speaking Engagement03.02.2023
- RecognitionThe Best Lawyers in America®, 08.19.2021
- Press Release11.03.2020
- Press Release02.06.2020
- Media Mention02.23.2016
- Speaking Engagements03.10.2022
- Speaking Engagements03.09.2022
- Speaking Engagements01.19.2022
- Speaking Engagements11.05.2021
- Client Alert01.11.2022
- COVID-19 Response Resource Center: Timely Counsel for your Business, 04.27.2020