Jeff Oleynik is a seasoned business litigator handling a wide range of corporate disputes, many of which end up in bankruptcy court. Jeff represents clients on disputes involving ownership, management and control of companies, and is frequently involved in antitrust matters.
Jeff often litigates antitrust issues, but also consults with clients on how to avoid “crossing the line” and creating antitrust and noncompetition issues on the front end, prior to any dispute with a competitor or vendor.
Separate and apart from handing litigation over unfair competition issues, Jeff also consults clients about business practices and compliance with both federal and state antitrust laws and regulations such as Hart Scott Rudino, including analysis of Hart Scott Rudino as applied to sale of a company or joint venture of companies in the same industry.
"Jeffrey Oleynik heads the [Antitrust] practice from the Greensboro office. Sources describe him as an effective and highly accomplished litigator, and a tenacious client advocate." – Chambers USA 2014, Antitrust Practice Ranked Tier 1
Many “deals gone bad” have parties that end up involved in bankruptcy. Jeff has represented companies, committees, and trustees in litigation involving officers, directors and shareholders of bankrupt companies and claims and issues concerning solvency, fiduciary duties of management, and pre-bankruptcy and the following consequences of pre-bankruptcy transactions. He helps clients with issues such as fraudulent conveyance claims, preference claims, deepening insolvency, fiduciary duties and management.
Jeff’s practice in antitrust litigation centers on disputes between companies in the same industry who are concerned that a competitor (or sometimes a supplier, distributor, or franchisor) have engaged in an anti-competitive or just plain “unfair” business practice. These disputes often involve disagreements between franchisors and franchisees over the amount of control a franchisor can have over day-to-day operations.
The other issues that often arise involve questions around exclusive territories, non-competes, and the ability of a franchisee to sell, assign, or expand its franchise and scope of the territory. Jeff assists clients with all of these concerns.
When the parties to a deal are not happy with each other, and there is a disagreement about what the terms of the deal really were, businesses frequently call on Jeff for counsel. Oftentimes it is a dispute about who has to cover the losses or who gets more of the profits. Jeff’s goal is to help clients understand what legal claims they may have if the dispute is not resolved, the value of those claims, the cost of litigating those claims, and the risk of litigation. After that, he tries to help clients find the best business solution, taking into account the time and dollars that will be involved if the matter is litigated. Jeff tries to be sure that the client has explored the business solutions and understands the time and cost of litigation before making the decision to pursue or defend a claim in court.
Jeff works with a broad range of industries, including community banks, national banks, healthcare companies, physician practices, and auto dealers, and clients of all types, including closely-held corporations, franchisees, and minority shareholders. Much of the litigation he is involved with involves issues of valuation for closely held partnerships, such as physician practices.
Honors & Recognitions
Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in Antitrust Law and Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2005-2022); Greensboro "Lawyer of the Year" in Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2016, 2018)
Recognized by his peers for inclusion in Business North Carolina’s "Legal Elite" in Bankruptcy Law (2004-2006, 2008-2021) and Antitrust Law (2005-2010, 2012-2016, 2018)
Recognized by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business for Antitrust (2005-2021), Bankruptcy/Restructuring (2016-2021), and Litigation: General Commercial (2005-2017)
Recognized in North Carolina Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) in Bankruptcy Law (2006-2016), Bankruptcy: Business (2017-2021), Antitrust Litigation (2007-2012), and as one of North Carolina's "Top 100" Lawyers (2009, 2020)
Recognized in Super Lawyers Business Edition for Bankruptcy: Business (2015)
University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1983, Order of the Coif; Editorial Board, University of Virginia Law Review, 1982-83
William & Mary, B.A., 1980, Phi Beta Kappa
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th, 5th, and Federal Circuit
- RecognitionThe Best Lawyers in America®, 08.19.2021
- RecognitionChambers USA, 05.20.2021
- RecognitionNorth Carolina Super Lawyers, 01.14.2021
- RecognitionTwenty-Six Brooks Pierce Attorneys Named to Business North Carolina’s 2021 “Legal Elite” and “Hall of Fame”Business North Carolina Legal Elite, 01.03.2021
- RecognitionThe Best Lawyers in America®, 08.20.2020
- RecognitionChambers USA, 05.01.2020
- RecognitionNorth Carolina Super Lawyers, 01.22.2020
- RecognitionTwenty-One Brooks Pierce Attorneys Named to Business North Carolina’s 2020 “Legal Elite” and “Hall of Fame”Business North Carolina Legal Elite, 01.02.2020
- RecognitionThe Best Lawyers in America®, 08.15.2019
- RecognitionChambers USA, 04.29.2019
- RecognitionTwenty-Five Brooks Pierce Attorneys Recognized in Business North Carolina’s 2019 “Legal Elite” and “Hall of Fame”Business North Carolina, 01.02.2019
- RecognitionThe Best Lawyers in America®, 08.15.2018
- RecognitionChambers USA, 05.03.2018
- RecognitionTwenty-five Brooks Pierce Attorneys Recognized in Business North Carolina’s 2018 “Legal Elite” and "Hall of Fame"Business North Carolina, 01.02.2018
- RecognitionThe Best Lawyers in America®, 08.15.2017
- Press ReleaseChambers USA, 05.26.2017
- RecognitionNorth Carolina Super Lawyers, 01.20.2017
- RecognitionNineteen Brooks Pierce Attorneys Recognized in Business North Carolina’s “Legal Elite” and “Hall of Fame”Business North Carolina, 01.03.2017
- RecognitionThe Best Lawyers in America®, 08.15.2016
- RecognitionNineteen Brooks Pierce Attorneys Recognized in Business North Carolina’s 2016 “Legal Elite” and “Hall of Fame”01.07.2016
- RecognitionSuper Lawyers Business Edition, 11.05.2015
- RecognitionThe Best Lawyers in America®, 08.17.2015
- RecognitionNorth Carolina Super Lawyers, 01.20.2015
- RecognitionTwenty-one Brooks Pierce Attorneys Recognized in Business North Carolina's "Legal Elite" and "Hall of Fame"Business North Carolina, 01.04.2015
- Recognition12 Brooks Pierce Attorneys in Legal Elite: Mark Davidson and Jennifer Van Zant Named to Business North Carolina's "Legal Elite Hall of Fame" in 201012.31.2009
- Press Release03.06.2009
- Speaking Engagements05.11.2014
Professional & Civic
Professional & Civic Activities
Chair (2001-02) and Member (1996-99), Bankruptcy Section Council, North Carolina Bar Association
Chair (2004-05) and Member (1997 – present), Antitrust and Trade Regulation Council, North Carolina Bar Association
Member, American Bar Association
Member, North Carolina Bar Association
Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
Board Member, Greensboro United Arts Council
Board Member, Greensboro Children's Museum
Board Member, Bel Canto Choral Society
Board Member, Piedmont Environmental Center
Board Member, Carolina Theatre